Teaching at SLA
Blended Learning in the current teaching conceptCopyright: © SLA
The mediation of knowledge of technical mechanics in the early stages of studies for industrial engineers specializing in mechanical engineering is the task of the chair affiliated to the institute. Since the summer semester 2015, it has been using the blended learning concept in addition to the usual teaching concept. In particular, the so-called "Flipped Classroom" plays a central role in this. The idea is to change the role from the classic lecture and the subsequent independent follow-up by the students to the independent collection of the lecture material by the students and the consolidation of the material in the classroom.
For this purpose, the students are provided with online videos in which the lecture contents are presented and developed by the lecturer. The attendance time in the lecture is then used to introduce and clearly introduce the material in advance of the online version and to go into more detail on special aspects and questions of the students afterwards.
Thus the teaching concept of the Chair of Engineering Mechanics is now based on 5 pillars:
- Attendance time: motivation and clear introduction of the material, interaction with the students, special aspects
- Online videos: Mediation of the necessary theoretical basics
- Lecture hall exercise: Application of the knowledge imparted directly to examples in professional practice
- Tutorial: Transfer of the acquired knowledge by the students in supervised small groups
- Script: Reference and reference book of the mediated substance
This project is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research under the funding code 01 PL 11068. The author is responsible for the content of this publication.
- Aeroelastik in der Luft- und Raumfahrt
- Einführung in den Entwurf von Schalentragwerken
- Faserverbundwerkstoffe II
- Finite Elemente Methode für strukturdynamische und nichtlineare Probleme
- Fundamentals of Lightweight Design
- Mechanik I für Wirtschaftsingenieure Fachrichtung Maschinenbau (Stereostatik)
- Mechanik III für Wirtschaftsingenieure Fachrichtung Maschinenbau (Dynamik)
- Processes and Principles for Lightweight Design
- Strukturdynamik und Vibrationen I
- Strukturentwurf und Konstruktion
- Auslegung der Struktur von Leichtflugzeugen
- Auslegung der Struktur von Raumfahrzeugen
- Faserverbundwerstoffe I
- Finite Element Methods in Lightweight Design
- Grundlagen der Finite-Elemente-Methode
- Mechanik II für Wirtschaftsingenieure Fachrichtung Maschinenbau (Elastostatik)
- Strukturdynamik und Vibrationen II
- Strukturentwurf für Luft- und Raumfahrt
The schedule of offered courses can be found on RWTH-Online.
The tutorials for the courses Lightweight Construction, Structural Design for Aerospace as well as Mechanics I, Mechanics II and Mechanics III are supported with quality improvement funds. Contact person for the use of quality improvement tools at our institute is Professor Dr.-Ing. K.-U. Schröder. Further information regarding the use of quality improvers in the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering can be found on the website of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.